Federal state budgetary educational institution of higher education “Saint Petersburg State University of Architecture and Civil Engineering” (SPSUACE) today is a big educational and scientific centre – the only higher educational institution in the North-Western federal region of the Russian Federation which provides complex training of specialists in engineering, architecture, transport and environmental engineering. Saint Petersburg State University of Architecture and Civil Engineering has grand professional and pedagogic traditions and constantly updates technologies, areas and methodology of scientific researches.
Date of establishment – April 27 (May 9 Gregorian), 1832.
Founder – Ministry of education and science of the Russian Federation
Location – Russian Federation, Saint Petersburg, 2nd Krasnoarmeiskaya street, 4
Mission and structure of the higher educational institutionMission of SPSUACE consists in conservation and development of traditions of Russian civil engineers and unique urban building and architectural environment of Saint Petersburg and Russian Federation; innovation development of the country in architecture, civil engineering, transport and improvement of life quality by training highly qualified, socially responsible specialists on the basis of modern scientific methods and education technologies.
In 2010-2015 the university:
- was recognized to be an effective high school by results of monitoring of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation
- confirmed correspondence of quality management system of SPSUACE to requirements of GOST ISO 9001-2011 (ISO 9001:2008)
- was included in TOP-150 in the international rating of sites of high schools Webometrics Ranking of World Universities
- was included in TOP-150 in the international rating of sites of high schools Web Ranking in section Universities in Russia on 4ICU
- was included into one hundred best high schools of Russia according to research of the rating agency RA "Expert"
- was included into rating TOP-60 of Russian high schools in nominations "Civil engineering"
- was included in TOP-30 top-rank high schools of the Russian Federation by results of rating Forbes
- Faculty of architecture
- Faculty of civil engineering
- Faculty of environmental engineering and municipal services
- Faculty of automobile and road-building
- Faculty of economics and management
- Faculty of forensic expertise and law in engineering and transport
- Correspondence faculty
Moreover the university includes:
- 40 chairs;
- Institute of advanced training and professional retraining of specialists;
- Institute of traffic safety;
- Institute of design and inspection of building constructions, buildings and installations;
- Institute of constructional-technical expertise of SPSUACE (ICTE SPSUACE);
- Three small innovation enterprises;
- Preparatory courses;
- Small architecture faculty
- Five computer based training centres;
- Over ten scientific and research centres unlocking potential of scientists and students of the University, who master professional skills in parallel with studies;
- Scientific and technical library – one of the oldest and largest treasure-houses of literature in engineering and architecture with the fund of over 800 000 items, including the only modern engineering library in German language in the North-Western region;
- Museum of University’s history, museum of history of St. Petersburg brick;
- Other structural subdivisions which fulfill educational process and scientific and innovation activity.
The University carries out bachelor, master and specialist degree education programmes in full-time, part-time and correspondence forms of training in accordance with the approved programmes of higher professional education.
SPSUACE has equipped education and scientific research laboratories and a fund of auditoria necessary for studies. The University uses modern licensed software for academic process, scientific researches, innovation activity and management and audio-visual mechanical means of teaching. In the University there are 119 auditoria, 25 of which are used for lectures and 94 – for practical classes and seminars. 50 auditoria are equipped with multimedia equipment; there are 20 computer classes and 11 computer based education centres. 59 university laboratories are used for practical lessons. In the University there are two exhibition halls, three halls of drawing and painting, a lithography studio, a sculpture room, and three sports halls. A single network and thirty local networks function in the University. Books of the scientific and technical library are being registered in the e-catalogue of the university.
The University has long-term partnership relations with Moscow state civil engineering university aimed at creation of an innovation geographically-distributed open network for distance education (open network of transfer and distribution of professional knowledge in engineering sphere) using modern telecommunication technologies. Main target of the project is to organize “Regional centre of open network” in SPSUACE in order to provide education on the basis of modern technologies of distant education using telecommunication means and to develop education programmes for training engineering specialists of new generation according to statues of Russian state standards and other normative documents.
The University has long-term partnership relations with colleges:
- Saint Petersburg state budgetary educational institution of secondary professional education “College of engineering industry and municipal services”;
- Saint Petersburg state budgetary educational institution of initial professional education “Professional lyceum of Saint Petersburg subway engineering”;
- Saint Petersburg state budgetary educational institution of secondary professional education “College of automobile transport and electro-mechanics”;
- Saint Petersburg state budgetary professional education institution “Fire-fighting college “Saint Petersburg centre of savers training”;
- Saint Petersburg state budgetary professional education institution “Nevsky college named after A.G. Nebolsin”;
- Saint Petersburg state budgetary professional education institution “Saint Petersburg state polytechnic college of municipal services”;
- Saint Petersburg state budgetary professional education institution “College of industry-specific technologies “Krasnoderevets”.
In order to improve education process by involving the potential of leading scientific and research organizations and scientific production companies and to rapidly meet changing needs of the labour market there were established fundamental chairs at such enterprises as:
- “Engineering machines” LLC
- Federal state budgetary institution “Russian centre of emergency and radiation medicine named after A.M. Nikiforov”;
- “KNAUF GYPSUM” LLC;
- “Transbalt Group of companies” LLC;
- “Hortek-centre” LLC;
- “Experiment plant” CJSC;
- Saint Petersburg state government agency “Direction for traffic organization in Saint Petersburg”;
- Saint Petersburg state unitary enterprise “Passazhiravtotrans”;
- “Inzhpetrostroy” CJSC;
- “Peterburg-Dorservis” CJSC;
- “Russian scientific research and project institute of urban planning” OJSC.
The University has a sufficient sports base, canteens and cafes, a student hostel, a recreation centre in village Berezovo (on the bank of Ladozhskoe lake), and a medical centre. In the University there is a student club “Brick” (“Kirpich”). The publishing centre of SPSUACE issues “Master’Ok” journal and a periodical “For construction specialists” (“Za stroiltelnye kadry”).
The University has an outstanding faculty of approximately 500 professors, 80% among them have different scientific degrees and titles, two academicians of the Russian Academy of Architecture and Constructional Sciences (RAACS), four corresponding members and seven councils of the same Academy. For success in work over 400 professors were awarded orders and medals, honorary titles of the Russian Federation, breast plates and certificates of various degrees. Two professors head art groups of scientists of Saint Petersburg and Moscow, which in 2008 were granted awards of the government of the Russian Federation in science and technics in one of the priority sphere.
SPSUACE is a member of the following organizations:
- International association of engineering higher education institutions;
- International association of postgraduate education;
- Interregional social organization of contribution to architectural education;
- Interregional association of teachers of architecture;
- International association of education in automobile transport and road-building;
- Association of project management;
- Chamber of trade and commerce;
- Russian council of rectors;
- Association “Union of rectors of higher education institutions of the North-West”;
- Regional social organization “Union of rectors of Saint Petersburg higher education institutions”;
- Education and methodological union of higher education institutions in management;
- Education and methodological union of higher education institutions in land planning and cadasters;
- Education and methodological union of higher education institutions in architecture;
- Union of self-regulated companies Non-commercial partnership “Engineers of the North-West”;
- Non-commercial partnership “Survey contractor of the North-West”;
- Non-commercial partnership “Scientific and technical union of Civil engineering industry of Saint Petersburg”;
- Non-commercial partnership “Russian union of teachers of Russian language and literature”;
- Non-commercial partnership “Gas club”;
- Non-commercial partnership “Association of metallurgic expert centres”;
- Saint Petersburg union of engineering companies “Soyuzpetrostroy”.